Renewable Energy Progress Report and Annual Survey
Preparing the ground
We support decision makers, creating the right conditions for investment
Progress by local authority area
|A summary of installed renewable electricity broken down by local authority area.||Download|
|A summary of installed renewable heat broken down by local authority area.||Download|
Regen SW's Renewable Energy Progress Report reveals that renewable energy has more than doubled in the past year in the south west of England, creating thousands of new jobs.
- RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY capacity increased from 217 MW in 2010/11 to 525 MW in 2011/12
- RENEWABLE HEAT capacity grew from 91.5 MW in 2010/11 to 119 MW in 2011/12
The growth is dominated by solar PV, which has seen 160 MW of smaller-scale PV and 75 MW of stand-alone solar parks installed in the past year.
Rapid growth in green jobs
This investment in renewables has resulted in rapid growth in jobs, and Regen SW estimates that 10,000 people are now employed in the sector in the south west. This represents jobs growth of 40 per cent year-on-year for the past few years– in the teeth of the recession.
The report sets out five lessons to make the most of jobs and growth potential from renewable energy:
- Clear, consistent government policy is vital: Clarity on ROCs, Electricity Market Reform and Renewable Heat Incentive over coming months will be vital
- Targeted strategies are needed nationally and locally to make the most of the economic opportunities from renewable energy
- Some elected representatives are misreading the public mood: there is a strong and consistent majority in favour of renewables
- We need all renewables: there is no silver-bullet technology.
- Communities must be more engaged in renewable energy developments
For details on installed renewable electricity and heat projects in the south west by county, local authority and technology please see the full survey. If you would like any further information about the datasets used please click here to email Josie Ashe, our data co-ordinator.
Archive of annual surveys
|2004 annual survey||Download|
|2005 annual survey||Download|
|2006 annual survey||Download|
|2007 annual survey||Download|
|2008 annual survey||Download|
|2009 annual survey||Download|
|2010 annual survey||Download|
|2011 annual survey||Download|
|2012 annual survey||Download|
Annual Survey 2012
The Renewable Energy Progress Report – which collects together information on all of the known renewable electricity and heat projects in the south west. The publication of this report was kindly supported by South West Water and Exeter University.