SE4 Tasks Overview
Some renewable energy resource information will be available at a regional level, notably for biomass, waste and wind, and at a national level for hydropower, which will provide estimates of the resource available for each local authority in the region. Where regional data is available, local authorities should focus on assessing the feasibility of the opportunities identified, and the extent to which the potential resource could be practically harnessed in their area.
Where regional or national data is not available, for example for potential microgeneration uptake, then local authorities will need to carry out their own analysis.
The suggested tasks are as follows:
- Develop baseline for existing energy demand in the local authority area, and projected energy demand by 2020
- Identify existing (and firm proposals for) installed renewable energy capacity
- Assess area-wide potential for renewable energy (non-microgeneration) covering: wind power, biomass, hydro power & energy from waste
- Assess potential uptake of microgeneration and building integrated renewable energy in existing and new buildings
- Develop target scenarios for renewable electricity and heat and test with stakeholders